You know that Christmas is almost here when you find yourself cuddled up on the sofa watching Christmas movies and holding a warm and comforting glass of mulled wine. Brimming with festive joy, this is the drink that says Christmas in a glass and is the perfect way to enhance that warm, fuzzy feeling. The traditional combination of festive spices infused in a delicious wine can be enjoyed in numerous ways and aside from being a festive novelty; this delicious drink also has a number of health benefits to keep you fit and well throughout the Christmas period.
We therefore agree that its time to sit back, relax and enjoy a tipple with those mince pies. Here is the ultimate recipe to follow for that heart-warming brew. Sweet, spicy and full of delight, this recipe serves 12 and you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 bottles of red wine
- 1 bottle of white wine
- 2 oranges
- 1 pice of fresh ginger (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- Demerara sugar (5tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
Quick easy and simple, follow this method for that merry delight:
- Use a sharp knife to remove the zest from the oranges (make sure this is done in strips). Then proceed to juice the orange into a large pan.
- Add the red and white wine to the pan with the orange juice. Place all the other ingredients into this pan; the orange zest, ginger, cinnamon sticks, demerara sugar and ground cloves.
- Make sure your stir to dissolve the sugar
- Cover the pan and heat it over a medium-high heat until heated through but make sure you don't boil.
- Reduce the heat to a medium -low temperature and heat for an hour until all the flavours become infused together.
- If you like you can add more sugar until you have reached your desired sweetness or even serve with a splash of brandy for that required taste.